Saturday, July 11, 2015

A change of clothes

It only took about a week for me to begin post retirement nesting and tackle cleaning my closet - a chore I never had time for before.  I started by clearing out the many colored shirts embroidered with my (former) business logo, no need to ever wear those again.  Then continued to ditch anything resembling work clothes or business attire.  When the purging was finished, I packed away two full boxes of  logo shirts and t-shirts from company picnics and corporate runs.  And I was more than happy to donate all my black slacks, sensible skirts and business suits to someone- anyone.

A friend of ours was telling the story about his son who will be starting his first year at the Citadel.  Cadets are issued eight uniforms and they are told what to wear when and given painstakingly detailed instructions on how to wear them.  After their initial eye-opening visit to the strict South Carolina military academy,  he asked his son what he thought.  "Awesome!" was his reply.  He is proud to wear the uniform from the service cap to the shined black shoes.

Strict uniform codes remove the stress of "what to wear" and like the military I am true believer that it makes a difference in people management.   This had been drilled into me during 12 years of Catholic school.  Uniformity creates a memorable first impression and breaks down barriers.   I amassed thirty years worth of logo polo shirts from my former professional life.  But, with the team spirit of the business gone, the embroidered logos were just a bitter sweet reminder of what used to be.

For John and I our uniforms are changing.  Evidenced by the extra space on the shelves and racks of our closet.   Then I noticed my email junk mail changing from Ann Taylor to Athletica.  Today, I live in yoga pants, sandals and the occasional casual dress.  John opts for the Tommy Bahama shirt and khaki shorts.  In addition to needing the space, I have no desire to ever put on a pair of Banana Republic black pants, a button down shirt and pumps to walk out the door again.

No comments:

Post a Comment