Sunday, November 15, 2015

Read to your baby

When I was expecting my first child, Allison, I received priceless advice from Carol the social worker at work. At my baby shower she gave me a stack of children's books and a card that simply said "Read to your baby".  (this is now my gift for all new mothers)  I thank Carol for introducing me to Margaret Wise Brown, Good Night Moon, the Runaway Bunny, Blueberries for Sal and the vast world of children's literature.  I read to my baby, and child and pre-teen too.  Her gifts have become treasured memories that still grace our family room shelves, that I look forward to reading to my granddaughter.

At my niece AJ's baby shower yesterday I was responsible for the games, and included a "Children's Book Quote" game that seemed perfect for my niece and her mother (my sister) - the writer.  Gina and I both gave quotes from books on our shelves and I tested them on my daughter Allison (now also a mother to be).  She got most of them, the harder quotes I edited out of the quiz.

At the baby shower, my cousin Christina (who is a forth grade teacher and new mother ) was the landslide winner with 12 out of 15 quotes correct.  The other 30 or more shower guests didn't recognize most of the quotes. Why?

Do parent's not read to their babies?  Or do we read our children different books?  One mother said she only read books in Spanish.  Gina's husband, Zeke, quoted a "Pretty Purse" line that I am sure had sentimental meaning for him and his girls, but was hardly a children's best seller. (certainly not from Winnie the Pooh or Velveteen Rabbit)  Or maybe it was the blue baby boy cocktail?


Please take the quiz and report your results.  You cannot use your smart phone, google or ask a friend.
I wonder if this is an impossible game?  Or, do we need to read to our babies and grand babies?

No comments:

Post a Comment