Saturday, September 12, 2015

Fresh against the Apron


I HATE grocery shopping.  In my working life, stressful shopping after work followed by cooking got crossed off my list many years ago. Unfortunately for my family I relied on a rotation of one dish meals and decent take out.  That is why the "Everything except the Chef"  concept of cooking seemed like a dream come true.  Hello Fresh and Blue Apron both offer Top Chef worthy meals without planning or shopping.

I like the idea of trying new recipes and different ingredients.  The magical boxes arrive at your door with perfect portions and exotic recipes.

First I tried Blue Apron.  My daughters and niece were visiting when the box arrived.  As we unpacked the box, my middle daughter Kate commented "That looks like a lot of packaging."  When my niece was helping me peel and chop the produce she quipped "it's a lot of prep work".

Everyone has different ideas about what they expect from meal delivery companies.  Does the company care about it's enviromental footprint and do they support local farmers?  Are the ingredients fresh and seasonal?  My sister asked about calorie counts and getting special diets and my husband said he would be the judge of KP duty, since if I cook he cleans.  So I decided to compare Fresh verses Apron and report the results.

Hello Fresh Recipe Booklet
Both companies have similarities.   They are web-based subscription type services where you can skip weekly orders and select recipes.  Both offer three meals for two people per week for about $60.00.  Hello Fresh does a better job in technology.  Blue Apron has their own merchandising and sell pots, pans and kitchen wares.  I found it pushy and annoying.   When it comes to choosing meals, Fresh and Apron both have a varied selection of entrees that are appealing and it is easy to choose three menus per week from the options.
Blue Apron Recipe Cards



Both had pictures and step-by-step instructions but the recipe styles were different.  Blue Apron has 8" X 11" recipe cards with six steps each meal, while Hello Fresh uses a booklet and the typical recipe format.  I found Hello Fresh was easier for me to follow as an "Intermediate Cook".  

Hello Fresh's Seared Steak
I loved Blue's exotic ingredients like dried currants and lobster demi-glaze and edgy cooking techniques of Roasting Pepitas and frying shallots, however my "Summer Corn & Vegetable Chowder" flopped and was inedible.  Hello Fresh was the winner overall in the category of "Recipe and Instructions were clear and easy to follow".  Hello Fresh also allows users to download and print recipes (even those you haven't bought) and save on their mobile application which is great for those recipes you would like to repeat with your own ingredients.

As far as the best taste and flavor, Hello Fresh won with most of the recipes tried we strongly agree that the meals were excellent.  This is a subjective vote, but I also asked my other tasters (spouse, children, sister, niece).  It was hard to choose my favorite, but the Seared Steak and Creamy Chipotle Pan Sauce was perfect.  The cooking directions and quality of the beef contributed to the fantastic flavor.  Also, the added ingredient of Chipotle Sauce which would have been hard to purchase or make.  Their Lemony Shrimp Linguine came in a close second with a fresh simple recipe and farm raised shrimp.
Blue Apron's Rice & Beef-Stuffed Pablano Peppers


My favorite from Blue Apron was the first I created -Rice and Beef-Stuffed Pabloano Peppers. I liked it so much, I made it from my own ingredients, but could not find the Poblano peppers, zante currants or pepitas at my local grocery store.  This would be a recipe I would definitely order from Blue Apron again, because of the exotic and fresh ingredients.

The acid test of the quality of each meal delivery service is "Would you order this meal again" Hello Fresh was the winner with four out of five recipes.  I would order only two out of the five recipes from Blue Apron.

Next, I will reveal the results regarding other important questions such as nutritional values, environmental friendliness and kitchen clean up!

No comments:

Post a Comment